Friday, 14 January 2011

Just a line: The Gurau magic











Images taken from Dior Illustrated: René Gurau and the line of beauty.

'Just a line? But it is the basis of all art, with a single line we can express grandeur, nobility, sensuality, the line synthesis sensations and concentrates knowledge.' René Gurau

When I first came to London, I wanted to be a fashion illustrator until I realized it might actually get me no jobs if I need to go back to Hong Kong, and of course I found something which I'm interested after I started my course. Yet I never forgot how much I love fashion illustrations and how much it influenced fashion. Sooo after a trip to the Design Museum for the Drawing Fashion exhibition, I went to Somerset House for the Dior Illustrated: René Gurau and the line of beauty last week. I'm rubbish because I'm writing about an exhibition which is already finished but let's hope you've seen it haha? Speaking of fashion illustrators, René Gurau comes one of my favs since he was one of a few fashion illustrators who can use one single line to portray the whole atmosphere of an illustration, in short, he gives lives to illustrations. I was so amazed how he use a line to give emotions onto the subject, by using lines he highlighted the delicate cheek bones, emphasized the weight of the dress, adding a cheeky touch in an elegant atmosphere. For this he deserves every applause from every audience. I again got some moments when I saw such amazing thgs, and was so glad that even photography dominates, fashion illustration is still flourishing and still celebrating countless fashion moments in where I am.
X


No comments:

Post a Comment